Voltage converters can decrease or increase the output voltage in relation to the input voltage. By alternately turning on and off the voltage with high frequency, they control the value of output voltage without causing any disturbance in the work of the device.
What does it mean in practice and what are the benefits of it? Let us look at an example. Imagine we want to power up a device with a rated voltage of 6V. However, we only have a car battery that provides 12V DC. In this case, a converter would allow us to safely turn on the device by adjusting and lowering the value of the voltage. This type of a converter is called a step-down converter. Similarly, in order to power up a device that requires higher voltage, the converter will raise this value, while maintaining the appropriate parameters. Here, we are talking about a step-up converter. There are also more advanced converters which can both lower and raise the voltage as needed.
Recom DC/DC converters
Highest quality – Recom DC/DC converters
Years of experience and the thoroughly developed technology makes it possible for Recom to produce reliable, high-quality products that are also safe for users. The company owns advanced laboratories located in, for example, Austria, thus allowing for the continuous improvement of DC/DC converters and putting new solutions on the market. Recom products are used in such crucial branches as power generation and railway industry. They are also useful in medicine and automotive industry, especially when it comes to e-mobility solutions and new, related technologies. Using their knowledge, Recom is currently expanding their business to include AC/DC power supplies (with the power of up to few dozen kW) and LED drivers.
Recom DC/DC converters – key technical parameters
One of the flagship devices from Recom are R-78 DC/DC converters. The specific parameters of the converters from this series differ, allowing the users to choose ones that will suit their needs. Taking into account the full range of capabilities of DC/DC converters, these are the most important technical parameters:
Use of DC/DC converters
- Power 180mW – 30W.
- Input voltage from 0.65 to even 72V, each device allowing for a certain input voltage deviation, and so e.g. in the R-781.8-1.0 converter this deviation can be around 4.75÷18V.
- Output voltage which, unlike the supply voltage, is a constant value with no interruptions. Here, the voltage varies around 1.2÷24VDC.
- Device efficiency – power transmission, especially through intermediary devices, comes with certain energy losses. In the case of voltage converters, energy losses in the form of generated heat are particularly important. The efficiency, meaning the output to input power ratio in the products described, declared by the producer reaches up to 97%. This parameter proves that Recom devices are flawlessly designed when it comes to energy losses and allow for highly effective work of the converters.
- The converters in this series work in three temperature ranges – from -40°C to 70°C, 85°C or even 100°C.
- Recom converters have a short-circuit protection. They are safe both for the user and the whole power system.
Only few people know how many different applications these devices may have. Often, the work of a complicated electronic assembly would not be possible without them. Then, where can we find them and what role do they play?
Nowadays, very popular devices that use DC/DC converters are solar panels. Because of the changing weather conditions throughout the day, the production of electricity by the photovoltaic array oscillates within a very wide range, causing output voltage fluctuations. A converter can also help in this case, as it stabilizes the output voltage before supplying the energy back to the grid. Besides, all the battery-powered devices, with voltage that is different than the output voltage of the battery, are supported by voltage converters.
All these examples show how important DC/DC converters are for the proper functioning of various devices. In fact, it would be hard to imagine a contemporary device without them. DC/DC converters convert the unstable input signal and prepare it to work with a device that requires a constant voltage with no interruptions. They can lower or increase its value within the range set by the manufacturer. The wide range of highest quality products offered by Recom will satisfy the needs of the most demanding electronic circuits. Many years of recognition from clients from all over the world are the best evidence for that.
Recom converters offer